Ar Llu, 2006-08-21 am 10:23 -0400, ysgrifennodd Ray Mansell:
> Please forgive the naivety of this question, but my knowledge of Linux
> is severely limited.
>
> Back in the good old days of VM and CMS, it was easy to load a program,
> locate it in storage, set a few CP trace traps within it, and then start
> it running. How can I do the same thing in Linux? Specifically, I'd like
> to be able to trace the entire execution of a given program running
> under Linux, but I have less than a clue as to how to do that.

The low level interface is ptrace (2) (see man 2 ptrace).

Usually people deal with things at a higher level and the gdb debugger
can do tracing and trapping of the application including things like
"run into variable X is set". For "what is going on" type events there
are tools called strace and ltrace which trace system calls and library
calls respectively.

Alan