From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Post, Mark K
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:30 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: SLES vs RHEL

Ann,

No, it's not priced by virtual machine.  When RHEL3 first came out it
was priced by CP or IFL, just as it is now.  However, they placed a
limit of 25(?) systems per CP/IFL for a given license.  That was later
dropped.  So, as many guests as you can squeeze onto any given processor
are all covered by one license charge.

All, please read the article at zJournal.  One of the reasons why Red
Hat _appears_ to be so much more expensive is that support is bundled
into the license fee, whereas with Novell, that is a separate charge.

Part of the reason why Red Hat lags a little today is due largely to the
timing of their release cycles, and partly because they refused to
incorporate any of the mainframe-specific patches unless they were in
the official source tree that Linus maintains.  While SUSE has been a
little more flexible about that, my sources tell me that they're
starting to lean towards the same approach Red Hat has taken.

With the IBM developers being _very_ successful in getting their changes
integrated into the official 2.6 source tree, I believe that the future
will see any differences in functionality being purely a result of
release cycle timing.