On Wednesday, 09/06/2006 at 10:26 MST, Thomas Kern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> That's why I like using something internal to the zSeries for zSeries
> communications and automation. The source of the data can be trusted to
not be
> spoofed so you can authenticate that against a table of authorized users
and be
> safe. With the VMCF protocal (SMSG is just a commandline SENDX, right?)
and the
> IUCV protocal, CP handles the sizing of the data before the Linux code
would
> ever see it, leaving application developers to look elsewhere to code
their
> buffer overrun vulernabilities. It is unsniffable by the network spies
so there
> is no need for fancy CPU intensive encryption with public/private key
> management.

Careful!  For multiuser operating systems, you can identify the guest, but
you cannot identify the user.  So you have to take steps in the guest to
ensure that only authorized users are allowed to send commands.  Look at
hcp/vmcp for example.  That's a command that should be limited to specific
trusted Linux users.  If you don't then the integrity of the guest becomes
suspect.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott