On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 08:23:54AM -0400, Romanowski, John (OFT) wrote:
> Hannes,
> I'm confused that SLES 9 added a parameter, multipath=, to switch "off
> multipathing in the initrd,
> ie for the root fs"
>
> but Novell says specifically for SLES 9 that "Currently, DM MPIO is not
> available for either the rooti
> or the boot partition, as the boot loader does not know how to handle MPIO."

Argl. No, it's me getting confused.

The multipath parameter in SLES9 is actually an evil hack which switches of the
partition detection
from the block layer. It's never meant to be a properly documented boot
parameter, more something
of a performance tweak.

Main reason here is that _reading_ from a disk (as the partition scanning code
does) might trigger
failover on certain arrays, which again might take some time for the failover
to occur.
And as the devices are scanned sequentially, you might end up failing the path
back and forth
several times, each time encountering the time penalty for switching paths.

We had someone where this partition table scanning alone took several hours to
complete.

The statement about SLES9 and multipathing on root not supported still stands.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SuSE Linux Products GmbH                S390 & zSeries