Jay Maynard wrote:
On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 10:28:13PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

A nice fast 8-way Opteron would probably outrun the average PartnerWorld
Flex-ES box, but that's hardly an apples-to-apples comparison. :-)

I'd be content to judge their finest against the finest alternative to
be a fair comparison.

Well, if you're just doing z/Linux, you can throw one hell of a fast box at
the problem with Hercules for what you would spend on Flex-ES. Considering
that I just priced out two Opteron 265s for my Hercules development box last
night to replace a pair of Opteron 244s at $271 each (going from two to four
cores total, at the same 1.8 GHz clock speed), building a full-bore 8-way
Opteron 880 system could probably be done for well under $10K.

Quads due next year, I was checking it out research my previous.

One can also virtualised with Xen, with the prospect of running Herc
under different distros and Unices (eg Solaris), and maybe Windows.

A different task, I know.

--

Cheers
John