On 10/14/06, Vic Cross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Rob van der Heij wrote:
> There's a system TOD that is set at POR time (from the clock of the
> PS/2 or so?) Unless you have the gear that will synch that from true
> time, it will be off some amount.

So does this provide our cheap-as-chips solution?  Run an NTP client on
the SEs and HMCs?  ;-)

It would only do it at POR, and not help for the drift after that. In
a former life we had PCs with 3270 coax cards as HMC (when the HMC was
still 3270, as &deity designed it) and operator console. The scripts
would set the clock during IPL of the LPAR. With regular IPLs that
worked pretty well to avoid much drift. And I think the granularity of
this is full seconds only, so it is still rather sloppy.

If you read the books on the ETR, you'll see that this stuff really is
more complicated than what you would build in your garage. That is if
you need this to be fault tolerant etc.

Rob