The zLinux front end will only be for users coming in with XML over
either MQ Series or TCP/IP. We handle direct communication to our users
using MQ Series and TCP/IP with our native message formats currently.
Our users are various state agencies.

We don't have regular users with terminals. All of our input comes in
from our users over TCP/IP or MQ Series directly into our custom
communications front-end software. This software used to handle BSC,
SNA, MQ Series and TCP/IP along with a "application-flavored" version of
TCP/IP for some users. It runs in what we call CORs (not TORs). We no
longer have SNA or BSC users.

The CORs are responsible for changing any input to a common format for
the AORs (i.e. non-protocol specific and a bunch of other things besides
that) and for the opposite on the outbound side. It is also used for
automated retry/disposal of undeliverable messages (either from a
request/response type message or for unsolicited messages to the users).

We have a bunch of back-end software that performs searches on daily log
files (we have the transaction logs online back to 1990) for our users.
Exact match name/dob type searches on those ~17 years of log files takes
only 30-40 seconds. The log files and the indexes that are used in the
search software are kept current up tio midnight on the prior day.

We are going to translate the inbound XML back to the existing message
formats so that we don't either break or have to rewrite the back-end
software). Of course, the reverse on the outbound side.

We don't do web/soap etc (yet) due to the sensitivity of the data that
we hold.

We did evaluate other methods of handling XML including using Cobol
Parse, middleware packages etc but with our system being very customized
without "regular" terminal users, this approach seemed to suit our needs
best.

Regards,

Kevin