This is a good idea....in fact, I did make some DDR images for a couple
of clients tht waanted to do a quick install and didn't have the correct
h/w setup handy. The DDR images were based on the (commercial) Linux
distros CDs that they had already bought.

I could certainly offer, for a nominal fee, of course, redy to load DDR
images of the popular "free" zLinux distributions: Debian, Slackward and
CentOS. Drop me a note off list if you'd be intrested in purchasing such
a thing.

Have a good one.

DJ

Tom Duerbusch wrote:
For any newbies, this is great!

I spent high two digit hours with trying to install SLES7 with CDs
mounted on my PC running WIN/98.
When it came time for SLES8, I tried the same and failed.  My PC was
now XP.  Again double digit hours messing with installation.
With SLES9, I installed an FTP server on SLES8 and the install went
smoothly.  All Linux, no Windows.

It's easy to move iso images back and forth.  But it is IP vs Windows
vs FTP server that seems to crap out on you.

What would be even easier....
Have Novell mount the images on an FTP server.
Right?  During install, I can specify the IP address of the FTP
server.
What are the problems in Novell mounting the ISO images and serving
them up?
Make it a subset, if worried about abuse, that is sufficient to setup
your own FTP server and then retrieve the ISO images, and mount them for
your own "custom" install.

Obviously, I'm now past the point of having FTP Server/Windows/IP
problems.  And perhaps there aren't any problems in this area anymore.
Of course MS Vista is comming.....

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting
(RIP Goldie, a great cat and my buddy for 15 years)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/28/2006 1:36 PM >>>

A little late to the party, but...

I've been trying to get Novell to make their Novell SuSE distribution
available in CMSDDR format.
Imagine...

1- your shiny new z/VM system has been installed and you have set up
TCPIP
and its FTPSERVE server
   (both come as part of z/VM, nothing else to buy!).
2- you have already downloaded and installed the CMSDDR package from
the
IBM VM Download page.  See:
   http://www.vm.ibm.com/download/packages/
3- you are logged onto a CMS userid with disks accessed for a Linux
installation, plus one extra minidisk to hold the
   CMSDDR-format Linux files.
4- you issue start FTP on CMS (part of the z/VM install) to download
from
Novell the CMSDDR-format files.
5- you issue the command: CMSDDR RESTORE cuu filename filetype
filemode
   which restores the pre-installed Novell SuSE distribution to your
target 3390 minidisk.
6- you IPL Linux and ACTUALLY GET STARTED on the Linux installation
instead of fighting to access the CD files
   (a real problem at some sites), and then fighting with the imahes
thereon (another real, repeated problem for
   many sites).

Sit back and enjoy the freedom from all the existing problems with
CDs,
DVDs, and FTP, including translation    tables, file padding, line
breaks,
record formats, record lengths, ad nauseam.

What does it take to make this quick-start possible?

Well, perhaps a loud rumble from the huddled masses who want to use
Novell's "Linux for System z" distribution.  Then Novell to perform
the
steps to load the CD files to 3390 minidisks (just as we would), then
run
CMSDDR DUMP of each minidisk and move the files to their servers so we
can
FTP them from their site **DIRECTLY** to our z/VM systems.  No funky
HMC
drives, no pre-existing Linux guests required.  Everything you need
comes
with z/VM except CMSDDR, which is available for free.  Oh, the bliss!
Oh,
the speed!  Oh, the productivity!!

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.