Rick Troth wrote:

Build the package outside of RPM control.  That is, DO NOT ship it
as built from the SRPM.  You can and should still ship an SRPM.
Do an  'rpmbuild -bb'  against a built and installed package.

I _hate_ packages built this way. I fully expect that, should I rebuild,
I can do so from the source rpm, and that the result will be equivalent
to the binary rpm.

I don't like any Sun or IBM java rpm I've seen (IBM's are better)
because they play tricks building them.

I ran into trouble with the Fedora Directory Server project's rpms(!)
because the source rpms do not build on _my_ system. Until they do, I
won't touch them.

You should not need to rebuild for any Enterprise Linux/Architecture
release combination, except to fix your own problems, but I think you
should do this.

In doing so you will also avoid problems with C++ library incompatibilities.

If the source rpm builds, and you don't support RHAS 2.1 but I want it
on RHAS 2.1, I should be able to build it for myself, subject to having
required versions of libraries.

Or on Mandrake/Mandriva. Or on any of the other Linux distros mentioned
on distrowatch.com (for that matter, I should have a fighting chance of
building from source on *BSD* and if you follow the autoconf route it
probably will build, even though you don't support it and you especially
don't support the packaging).

--

Cheers
John