Rick Troth wrote:
On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, John Summerfield wrote:

This would work in well with Xen too, where one can present a partition
to a guest which can use it as a physical volume and partition it.

Just to be clear,
you do mean to partition a partition,  correct?
Sure.
You can configure xen to give, say, /dev/hda1 to a guest as /dev/hda and
that guest can then partition it.

Just for a laugh (and to be educated), try this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/disk bs=$((1024*1024)) count=0 seek=1024
ls -Shos /tmp/disk
parted /tmp/disk
I had a bit of a play, then
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ parted /tmp/disk print
Disk geometry for /tmp/disk: 0.000-1024.000 megabytes
Disk label type: gpt
Minor    Start       End     Filesystem  Name                  Flags
1          1.000   1000.000  ext2
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$

I don't know that I could boot such a disk:--

Partitions and files are the same thing.
VOLSERs and EXT2 labels are the same thing.

Technically, not quite (unless DASD on zLinux are done differently from
zOS). VOLSERs I recall are track0, cyl0 and are six characters of disk
labels 80 characters long.

PCDOS disk labels start at the fourth byte (because that's the size of a
IA32 jmp [but not the shortest jmp] instruction). There's room, and
least in DOS partition tables, to similarly label partitions outside of
the filesystem labels. It's often got boot code in it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait