On Wednesday, 12/06/2006 at 01:13 CET, Rob van der Heij
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I must admit I lost interest in this thread when we got into the the
> "Linux can not" game while zSeries technology at least allows some
> operating systems to make sense out of it.
>
> Certainly the need to recognize a disk from its volser rather than the
> device address stems from the days of removable disk packs. You could
> not address data by device address.
> These days we have DASD subsystems with a lot of smartness and parity
> bits. They will isolate the host from damage if they can. And they
> will inform the host through architected means (i.e. EREP) when
> uncorrectable errors are detected. When someone then decides to break
> the mirror and vary the broken device offline, the volser will show up
> at the other address where the OS should be able to find it.

But such also is the beauty of z/VM HyperSwap.  If an RDEV goes bad, use
the CP HYPERSWAP command to switch to the local mirror (PPRC).  Systems
Automation for Linux actually monitors *LOGREC looking for fatal event
records, and HYPERSWAPs the disks if the primary starts to fail.  The
guest doesn't have to worry about switching to a different address.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott