Hello Marian,

Top doesn't show anything active related to Java initialization, or
anything running that I can identify as belonging to the runInstaller
process.

I also ran runInstaller through strace (suggested by someone lese the
other day).  It appears that the runInstaller process issues the
message, checks the status of some files, and then exits.  However, the
normal prompt character is not displayed.  Press enter, and you're back
to the normal prompt character.

Very frustrating,

Dave

Dave Stuart
Prin. Info. Systems Support Analyst
County of Ventura, CA
805-662-6731
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/5/2006 10:13 PM >>>
Dave,
how long is "never returns" ? Did you check what is
going on during that time ? For examle with 'top' ot
'vmstat' in another terminal ? Memory constraints ?

Marian Gasparovic
IBM Slovakia