David Stuart wrote:
Mark,

If it is, in fact, a memory issue, then I'm probably done with it.  I
have @600M available in the LPAR (no VM), and that's as much as I can
give it.  This box only has 2G, allocated across 5 LPARs.

1. I reiterate, a segfault is always a bug, it should never happen just
for lack of memory.

Don't confuse real memory with virtual. You can add swap way beyond your
real memory, and there's no particular reason you can't back you 600
Mbytes or so of real memory with 2 Gbytes and more of swap.

Performance may suffer, but that's another issue.

FWIW, what does Oracle say are the requirements? Since there's no VM
involved, I guess the guidelines for AMD-64 (Opterons) would be the ones
to follow.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Stuart
Prin. Info. Systems Support Analyst
County of Ventura, CA
805-662-6731
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/6/2006 12:11 PM >>>

"Typically" in my experience a segmentation fault is caused by serious
lack
of memory.  Our Oracle installed complained that it need over 900MB for
the
install.
--
Mark Pace
Mainline Information Systems

send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390
or visit

Cheers
John

-- spambait