On Wednesday, 12/06/2006 at 07:26 MST, Lee Stewart
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Getting close to trying this, but...
>
> For Linux to use it, I have to give a MAC address to Linux, right?  (In
> Yast/Network Devices/Network Card/Advanced Options.)

I don't know how to set the MAC manually on Linux.

> What do I use for a MAC address?   And if I just pick one, how do I know
> it's valid and not a dup on the net?

This is the beauty of a layer 2 (TYPE ETHERNET) VSWITCH.  You can pick the
NIC MAC in the directory (NICDEF) and not worry about Linux.  Locally
Assigned Addresses (LAAs) have to be unique only within their local LAN
segments; MACs do not travel through the entire network.

But the bottom line of LAAs is that if they are to be used, then they must
be managed.  That means there has to be a process in your networking group
who assigns them.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott