Yes, this is in an LPAR. Management won't pay for z/VM until proof of
concept and a use case are developed for virtualized Linux servers. I will
be devoting more time to that after the first of the year, I hope. For now
I just want to make sure I don't lose work I have already done.

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation
(850) 414-4209

David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
12/12/2006 12:06 PM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: FDR backups of Linux volumes?

> I realize it isn't the best practice for backing up Linux, but I will
be
> having to move volumes to a new DASD array. I'd like to use FDR
> full-volume backups of my Linux volumes just for insurance (we will
use
> FDRPAS to move the information, most likely).  Has anyone had any
issues
> taking full-volume backups of Linux-formatted 3390-3 volumes?

As long as the guests are *completely* down -- not just inactive -- you
should be fine.

> Also - is it
> normal for the volume serial to be 0X followed by the device number?

Hmm. Not "normal", but permitted if the original creator so chose.  Is
this a LPAR installation? That would be more common there.