I don't know what they are doing.  I opened the incident on-line
yesterday.  They came right back and request more info. I sent them that.
Haven't heard anything since.  I just requested a status update from them.

tom
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Toto, I have a feeling we're not in the mainframe world any more.
   _/)                  Tom Shilson
~~~~~            Unix Team / IT Server Services
Aloha               Tel:  651-733-7591       tshilson at mmm dot com
                           Fax:  651-736-7689

James Melin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
12/15/2006 02:28 PM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Hipersocket Performance Problem on SLES 9

Novell can't even find the ticket # I gave you that we filed this under?

             Tom Shilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             Sent by: Linux on 390 Port
             <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>    To
 LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
  cc
             12/15/2006 02:24 PM
  Subject
                                                                     Re:
Hipersocket Performance Problem on SLES 9
                            Please respond to
               Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

We can't find this patch, or any mention of it, anywhere.  I have opened
an incident with SuSE and will post the results here.

tom
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Toto, I have a feeling we're not in the mainframe world any more.
   _/)                  Tom Shilson
~~~~~            Unix Team / IT Server Services
Aloha               Tel:  651-733-7591       tshilson at mmm dot com
                           Fax:  651-736-7689

James Melin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
12/14/2006 08:53 AM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Hipersocket Performance Problem on SLES 9

Mark, I saw something similar when we first went to SLES-9 (64 bit).  We
had MTU sizes being negotiated down to an idiotic packet size of 1492.
Whether or not this has to do with how our OSA is configured I never did
learn. Search for stuff with hipersockets and MTU in the archives for the
particulars.

We reported it to Novell. They eventually managed to test on SLES 9 under
z/Series and  eventually issued a patch. They sent us this file:

iputils-ss021109-147.2.PTF.184411.0.s390.rpm

I don't know whether or not this file is GA but it touched MANY IP related
items, indicating that the problem was pervasive.  Once we applied it our
MTU negotiation problem went away. It may or may not have bearing on your
situation, but I offer the information to any and all that might find it
relevant.

-J

             Mark Wheeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             Sent by: Linux on 390 Port
             <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>    To
 LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
  cc
             12/14/2006 08:33 AM
  Subject
 Hipersocket Performance Problem on SLES 9
                            Please respond to
               Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

Greetings all,

I've been using real hipersockets for a couple years now. Recently a
significant performance problem with SLES 9 and large MTU sizes was
brought
to my attention. I've been using MTU=32760. I set up a test to illustrate
the problem. I built a 256 MB file on one zLinux guest (running under z/VM
5.2 on a z9-109), with enough storage defined so the file could be
completely cached. I then FTP'd it to /dev/null on another server over a
hipersocket connection. Here's what I observed:
SLES8-to-SLES8, MTU=8184,   ~75 MB/sec
SLES8-to-SLES8, MTU=32760, ~100 MB/sec (as high as 132 MB/sec)
SLES8-to-SLES9, MTU=32760, ~100 MB/sec
z/VM-to-SLES9,  MTU=32760, ~100 MB/sec (from file on VDISK to /dev/null)
z/OS-to-SLES9,  MTU=32760,  ~25 MB/sec (from disk cache on z/OS)
SLES9-to-SLES9, MTU=8184,   ~75 MB/sec
SLES9-to-SLES9, MTU=32760, ~400 KB/sec (not MegaBytes, KiloBytes!)

Has anyone else seen this?

I use 32760 on my hipersocket links so as to be consistent with the 32760
MTU size used on CTC links to other processors owned by my z/VM TCPIP
machine, which is used as the gateway between Linux guests on one machine
and z/OS on the other machines.

Best regards,
      Mark Wheeler, 3M Company