From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Jim Moling
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 8:17 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Lost an LVM under SLES9 64-bit ...

First, I'd like to say thanks for all of the great ideas/suggestions,
and
second, I'd like to apologize for not responding sooner. Also, just so
everyone knows - I am working with a SLES9 SP3 based server.

So, what I have figured out at this point is that I definitely did not
make
the LVM persistent via updating zipl.conf & doing a mkinitrd & zipl, and
since I hadn't IPLed the server since creating the LVM, it was just
waiting
to "get me" - I guess I assumed to much from Yast as that is what I used
create the LVM. At this point I have been working with the "cippled"
server
to see what I could figure out & then accomplish based on everyone's
feedback and so haven't taken the recovery system route yet ...

Here's what I have been able to do so far:

After bringing the 2 volumes online (chccwdev) and re-establishing the
LVM
(vgchange) and then mounting it (mount /pathname), it looks like I'm
back
to were I was before - the directories & data appear to be intact within
the LVM space as well. So I think all I have to do at this point is to
update the zipl.conf (by adding 'dasd=100-104' to the parameters
statement
under the [IPL] section) and do a mkinitrd & zipl - does this sound
about
right? If so, I was wondering if there is a way to update the zipl.conf
from a VM-based display since I don't have IP connectivity to the server
at
this point to use putty and the like - or is this why I need to run a
recovery system and chroot into the problem server environment - so I
can
make this update & issue the mkinitrd & zipl commands? If I can use the
VI
line editor to accomplish this from the VM display, for example, does
someone know how to do this (what commands will work)?

I am going to start working on the recovery system concept - I think
it's a
good idea in general - even if it turns out that I don't need it for
this.

Thanks again for all the help.