On 3/9/07, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

3) It removes a 'different' aspect of Linux on the mainframe. Since the current
generation of Linux admins seem incapable of coping without a GUI, vnc allows
mainframe and non-mainframe systems to appear exactly the same.

It has more to do with "not working on the machine itself" and appears
to apply to managing remote servers in general. Not just mainframe but
any virtually headless server.
From what I have seen the folks who get high "servers per admin"
ratio's are not those who use a graphical desktop. Most likely because
the GUI seems to encourage more ad-hoc style of working. One of the
teams I worked with considered an interactive session with a server an
exception that required justification of a problem ticket.
But you may run into middleware that is so advanced that it requires a
GUI to have a simple yes/no dialog with the admin (instead of allowing
a prepared config file as input). While one of those also had an
ncurses installer, after several unexplained failures the GUI version
was able to tell me it considered my disk space insufficient...
So even if you don't do GUI, it may be wise to make sure you have the
things in place to use it when you're forced to.

Rob