On Wednesday, 03/28/2007 at 10:28 AST, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> OK, OK -- Uncle.

Good, because *my* arm was getting tired.  :-)

> And you're revamping an awful lot of CP internals at the moment to
> finish the 64-bit enablement. It's worth bringing up the idea at least.

By all means.  But even in a 64-bit world, much of CP (including the ACI)
runs in a 31-bit execution space with the flexiblity to map any page into
that 31-bit space.  The parts of CP that manage the 31-bit space are, of
course, 64-bit, as are those that need to access possibly more than 2GB of
data are also 64-bit enabled.

> What's clear is that people can follow cookbook instructions. I would
> seriously question if they could actually tell you what those steps do,
> or understand how to fix it if it breaks. But, maybe that's unrealistic.
> I'd certainly prefer to eliminate the incantations if they're avoidable.

We are on the same wavelength here.  ESM enablement is too complex at the
moment.  I have ideas on how to address it buried in a mason jar in a
secret location in the back yard, but it all amounts to reducing the
number of steps to a bare minimum and bringing sanity to those that
remain.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott