Since you are running MVS on your box, you can always (assuming you are sharing
DASD) take your volume-level backups on the MVS side, which is what we do so
far.  To add to the fun, if your DASD has snapshot capability, you can get
minimal guest downtime by:
1) Shut down a guest.
2) Snap its DASD on z/OS.
3) Start up the guest.
4) Back up the snapshot copy to tape.

This is the procedure I use here for DR backups.  File level backups are a
whole different animal, though.

Jon

<snip>
Primarily I need a DR solution; mainly to be able to bring the system
back from a disaster in under a week. There are already DR processes in
place for other systems on the mainframe(s), such as MVS, CICS, etc. I
am behind on z/VM in that regard.
</snip>