From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Adam Thornton
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 7:11 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Philosophy: connecting to a Linux server

On Apr 3, 2007, at 5:43 PM, Kielek, Samuel wrote:

> That's because on Linux, /bin/sh is typically just a symlink to
> /bin/bash. I would imagine if you were to use bash on your Solaris
> machine the result would be what you were expecting. And vice versa,
> if you were to actually use the real bourne shell on Linux, it would
> fail.

The $() as a command substitution delimiter is guaranteed by POSIX.
If a platform's /bin/sh is POSIX compatible--no matter whether or not it
is actually bash--the construction will work.

I submit that there is no reason to ship your system with a non- POSIX
/bin/sh in the 21st century.

Adam

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390