From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Richard Troth
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:14 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: LVM -vs- device mapper

We were making progress with SAN ... and now we're stuck again.
Actually,
 SAN itself is working pretty reliably at this point.  But I cannot
figure
out how to feed a multipath SAN volume into LVM2.

In VM things,  you cannot connect to the virtual console of a virtual
machine hosting an LDEV.  The point is,  you should not sign on to TCPIP
on a logical terminal hosted by TCPIP.  The test is simplistic and we
have
learned to live with it.  (You can get around it by dialing thru VTAM,
for
example.)  The test fails goes beyond real protection in that you can
also
not sign on to TCPIP1 from an LDEV hosted by TCPIP2,  which should be
allowed.  But this is just for example.  The real problem has nothing to
do with terminal logical devices.  It's a SAN and logical volume
problem.

I BELIEVE that LVM has a certain belt-and-suspenders check with a
similar
nature.  Is there a way around it?  Specifically,  if I create a
multipath
volume I cannot then feed that to LVM as a PV.  If I masquerade the
multipath logical volumes each behind a loopback (pseudo block device)
then it works:  I can make it be a PV and can build a volume group on
that
with its own logical volumes.  How can I do this without the hack??  The
multipath LUN appears to LVM as if it were an LV.  (In some reality,  it
is  an LV,  but not an LV of LVM2's creation,  so this should be
allowed.)

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to how to do this with LVM alone.
Would
rather leave the two parts separate.

I don't see from the LVM doc how to feed two paths as one PV.

I had some luck with EVMS,  but it changes the game in ways that we
cannot
do at this time.

If I could just get  'pvcreate'  to not reject a
logical-for-another-reason LV as a PV then this would work.

Sample follows:  /dev/sda and /dev/sdb are 'dmsetup' combined into
/dev/mapper/mylun.

pvcreate /dev/mapper/mylun
fails with "Device /dev/mapper/mylun not found."

losetup /dev/loop5 /dev/mapper/mylun
pvcreate /dev/loop5
works!

-- R;