>>> On Wed, May 2, 2007 at  1:18 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayer,
Paul W" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> Anyone ever come across this error at boot time.

Yes, lots of people have gotten that error, for lots of different reasons.

> Before the boot I formatted and added 53 3390 packs and when I tried to
> update the /etc/modprobe.conf file, but the / file system was full.

What does your kernel command line look like?  "cat /proc/cmdline" will tell
you what the system booted with.  (You should be able to issue that command
after entering your root password, and seeing if you can manually mount the
proc file system, if it isn't already mounted.)

But, it sounds like you may have updated /etc/fstab, and gotten things wrong.
Fixing that may solve your whole problem.

You also need to figure out why your root file system is full and fix that
first, so you can save any updates you make to fstab.

> So I could not update that.
>
> Did the reboot thinking that oh well the disks will just go away (as
> they will not be added to the start up) and the boot would not work ...
>
> Running RHEL 4.4
>
> Error below;
>
> [/sbin/fsck.ext2 (1) -- /] fsck.ext2 -a /
> /:

These next errors are the ones that makes me think you've fouled up your fstab.

> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
=snip-
>    WARNING: Your /etc/fstab does not contain the fsck passno
>         field.  I will kludge around things for you, but you
>         should fix your /etc/fstab file as soon as you can.
>
> fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /
> [FAILED]
-snip-