From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Gabe Goldberg
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 10:22 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Article for z/Journal

I'm doing an article for Bob Thomas' z/Journal
<http://www.zjournal.com/> about next-generation mainframers, industry
and educational outreach initiatives for students and young
professionals, opportunities and obstacles for people exploring this
career area, etc. <www.ibm.com/university/systemz> is interesting if
you've not seen it.

A long-time and common topic on these lists (and I've cross-posted this
note to several) is the graying of mainframers and how there is or will
be a shortage of people to use/support/enhance big iron.

I'm interested in what you're seeing -- in industry, schools, user
groups, etc. -- regarding new generations of mainframers.

Does your employer court/train young professionals for mainframe
careers?

Do you work with younger colleagues? Is there a generation gap or is
there "solidarity within mainframes"?

Do you have younger relatives working on mainframes? If so, did you
influence their career choices?

Do user groups adequately educate new folks in this technology and
culture?

Are your mainframe areas of interest reflected in industry/educational
initiatives?

If YOU are a non-graying mainframer -- what led to this career path? How
do you like it so far? What future options do you see for yourself?

Anything else?

This will be a relatively short article so I likely won't be able to use
everything contributed, but it's an interesting topic so I might explore
it more later.

I'll appreciate all comments/feedback -- and please reply directly to me
as well as to the lists where you see this; since I get list digests
it's a pain extracting nuggets from the daily mailings.

Thanks for helping...

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.          (703) 204-0433
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042        [EMAIL PROTECTED]