Alan, your remarks are probably accurate from the perspective of server consolidation. The "get off the mainframe" mantra goes well beyond server consolidation. In my opinion, IBM has done a very poor job combating the source of the "get off the mainframe" mindset that permeates areas of the industry. Those CIO's, CTO's and CFO's to whom you refer are getting their information from consultant and research organizations such as Gartner and Hackett. Even in the Enterprise Architecture community, there is no dialogue on the mainframe, although the vast majority of participants in the EA commuity do have challenges around their mainframe systems. The organizations that can support an Enterprise Architecture effort are the ones that have mainframes.

I will share a coworkers experience at the last big Gartner conference in Orlando where not only she but our CTO and CIO were present. The last words out of the keynote speaker's mouth was "Oh, and get off those mainframes!" Later in that same day, she attended another much smaller attended session late in the afternoon where Gartner said, "Yeah, but all the big banks and retailers are not getting off the mainframe." Incidentally, our organization is the latter with 40 years of investment in mainframe systems. However, the CTO and CIO never heard those remarks.

Those same Gartner folks have said that if you run 500 or less MIPS, it is a no brainer decision, get off the mainframe. If you are running 1500 or more, not a snow balls chance in you know where of getting off it. The folks in the middle, Gartner had no answer answer other than figure it out for yourself. The "get off the mainframe" contingent uses plenty of FUD around the skills shortage "problem" to their advantage. For us, it isn't so much a shortage as not wanting to pay what two or three decade veterans expect to be compensated for that experience.

It may just be my organization, but IBM used to be really great at marketing to the upper echelons of organization's management. IBM could be doing more in these influential communities to promote the sustaining business value of organization's past investment in the mainframe and selling it to organization's management. I say it could be more, because, frankly, I've seen none.

This of course is probably not the right forum for this discourse, but it is the only one I have to share these perspectives where IBM is present. If there is one, I would sure like to know where it is.

Harold Grovesteen