On 5/17/07, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1) is afs stable and quick enough to provide services to my Oracle
> users (big Oracle databases with lots of hits).

It's very stable. Most of the scientific labs in the world use it, as do
a number of the major financial houses.

I was looking for the AFS version (Transarc I think) but could not
find where I can download it for free.   The OpenAFS version seems to
be the most accessible one but as I understand from this list if the
Transarc version is now free why bother with the OpenAFS version.
Also I understood that the AFS version is more stable.  am I correct?
Where can I get the free Transarc version of AFS?

My thinking is that the merrits for running AFS go beyond Oracle.  For
Linux guests under the same CEC roof, I can use hypersockets.   I like
the idea of accessing AFS on Linux/z via Windows, AIX and SUN.   I do
a lot of that today with NFS and SAMBA and if I can replace those with
AFS, that is a bonus.   For those Oracle DBMS instances with a heavy
R/O access during the key on-line hours, I might be able to get away
with AFS as well.  I think the effort is worthwhile.

> 2) if not, should I go for ocfs or gfs?  pros and cons?

If it's specifically Oracle you're dealing with, then ocfs is more
likely to be supported and understood if you call in a problem to Oracle
support. GFS probably has more users by virtue of being out there
longer.

My thinking is that for those heavy Oracle R/W we might need the OCFS
for the database file systems since Oracle support is important to us
and they better stand behind their OCFS solution.  For us, it is only
a few instances that will need RAC for a heavy I/O R/W situation.
However, they are large files.

It seems like I am answering my own questions but I am really
repeating what I have learned so far from this list.