> Since one can telnet to z/VM and logon to a user (provided, of course
z/VM
> is set up to do so) Wouldn't it be easier to write some widget for CMS
> talk to a telnet session in a curses friendly manner rather than try
> grind, cut, slice and hammer out a solution to talk to 3270?

No argument from this camp. I've already come up with a telnet to LAT
gateway appliance that seems to be very effective for console access,
but it involves another Linux guest. DEC worked out a lot of these
issues a long time ago; another forgotten technology that we'd do well
to revive.

> Mind, I understand that if you have no network to telnet to z/VM with
in
> the first place, you have no network through which Linux may deliver
> services, and therefore accessing a CMS friendly starter system is
> somewhat less of a concern than your network outage.

The solution of providing a simple script to prompt for network settings
in line mode and bring up the network in the starter system temporarily
so you can get to it and make the settings permanent with yast worked a
lot better.