On 5/30/07, John Summerfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm not sure I follow, but I note that some applications use some
function keys. I tend to not use short-cuts (accelerators) as in the
Linux world they're rarely obvious to me, except when they're
highlighted in a dialogue. As they are in YAST.

You add another layer that has for example an input field in the upper
left where you can type a character and press a PF-key to simulate a
single key being pressed. Tedious, and I would hope that for most
normal cases you would be able to have a series of keys presented to
the application. And there would be escape combinations that allow
those special keys to be passed to the application if they have to.

How would you go in VI, navigating with hjkl and others? What about
commands such as "dw?" i for insert at cursor, a for insert after
current cursor.

Challenge... but I was more thinking of the kind of dialogs that you
see when doing a Linux install in text mode.

What about mouse-capable character apps such as links, elinks, w3m and pine?

The equivalent would be to move the cursor to that spot and some AID
key. Some of the termulators also have the option to move the cursor
with the mouse or more.

> you have some freedom to use more PF-keys for the simulation.
> The other one we did (on local terminals) was to repeat "read
> modified" to the terminal and pick up the character in the field
> before Enter was pressed (pretty expensive hobby).

IIRC this was pong. The 3270 order to write the ball would issue a
read modified and find where you positioned the cursor. On next write
the bat would be moved one place in the direction of your cursor. Long
gone. I stopped using double and triple PF-keys in Xedit when I lost
my BSC terminal.

Rob