David Boyes remarked:
>> How hard would a 3270 based implementation of ncurses library be? And
>> would that solve the issues?
>
> Since ncurses mostly just deals with output, probably not too bad -- I
> faintly remember that Alan Crosswell had done some work on that way back
> when at Columbia, but I don't remember where I stored a copy of it.
>
> It doesn't really address the input issues at all, though.

Agreed, the input management and key recognition in the terminfo tree
is awkward (at best) but some of the logic has, at least, been thought
about-- even though many of the old ASCII terminals don't fit it very
well.  With the advent of ANSI x3.64 (peeled off of the VT100 and then
enhanced with all kinds of visible bells...  (smirks)

What is annoying is that some of the keys fit the model very well but
there are usually all kinds of variations on the action keys--  and,
to make you get almost psychotic enough to go on a multi-state killing
spree (I love that line from "Back To School"). function keys often
map to some weird and oh-so-terrible escape sequences.  Been There,
Done That.

(laughs)

I don't fit into a spreadsheet cell all that well, now, do I?

One more day... and Buh-Bye!

(I'll have to re-subscribe to this list from my gmail addy...)

John R. Campbell, Speaker to Machines (GNUrd), Stand-Up Philosopher
Phone: (813) 356-5322 (t/l 697)
Adsumo ergo raptus sum
MacOS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging
Windows.
Red Hat Certified Engineer (#803004680310286)
IBM Certified: IBM AIX 4.3 System Administration, System Support