Thanks for your input everyone.  Here are some answers to your questions.

The driving forces here are pushing SOA.  (I'm still trying to define what
this means vs. our current processing architecture)  I have seen some
articles recently that point to Oracle on LINUX as being a good option for
SOA.  I am trying to find out what determines this.

We currently run on a 2 CPU z-800 2066-0a2 (somewhere around 243 mips).  We
have a 2 LPAR multi-system sysplex for production running zos on one and
zos.e on the other.  Originally we had 1 Oracle data base on the zos.e side.

And this worked well...for quite a while.  We are now doing a lot more (9
data bases) and we are really juggling WLM to try to improve performance.  We
have divided the data bases over the 2 LPARS now.  We have a lot of feeds
coming in from other servers and users, replication, etc to keep the data
base as current as possible for all the queries that come in.

We also have 1 IFL (I believe 192 mips) running z/VM with a handful of LINUX
(SLES 8) instances which are used mainly for file servers.  One user
successfully attempted to put Oracle on a LINUX instance a few years ago but
their management chose another path before it was implemented.

We are in the same branch with the DBAs so we have the possibility of laying
out an Oracle instance in LINUX.  We would like to do some type of "proof of
concept", but I've never done this before.  Any and all
suggestions/directions/comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone,
Mary