On Friday, 06/15/2007 at 02:33 MST, "Stricklin, Raymond J"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can somebody on the list help me understand IBM's position that RSCS is
> becoming a $20k extra cost licensed program at z/VM 5.3?

It moves from an monthly license charge (hundreds to thousands a month) to
a one-time charge ($1K per value unit), plus an annual maintenence fee
($250/VU).  For a 2-CPU system that turns out to be $20K OTC, plus $5K/yr
for maintenence.  The free part of RSCS remains free.  Of course, you also
get licensing for IFLs.

Whether that's a good deal or not depends on how much you are paying now
for the MLC.  You can calculate how many months of MLC it takes to equal
the OTC, and then whether your MLC x 12 is more than the new maintenence
fee.  You can further calculate your savings over 3, 5, 7, 10 years,
whatever.

Oh, and it may not be immediately obvious, but moving from an MLC-based
product to OTC requires extra budgeting to ensure the OTC funds and first
year's maintenence are available.

RSCS V3R2 (5684-096) was recently announced to go out of service with z/VM
5.2 in April '09.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott