>>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at  4:50 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Susan Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> The only way I've built a Linux system is outlined in the Redbook " z/VM
> and Linux on zSeries: From LPAR to Virtual Servers in Two Days".
> Everything gets installed in / (root)... that is the only mount point
> (aside from swap) defined.

I've had discussions about this with Mike before.  We don't agree much.  >From
my perspective building a system with everything in one file system is just
asking for trouble later on.  My standard build breaks out the following into
their own file system:
/home
/opt
/srv  (If you're going to be actually putting anything in there.  Alternately
you can make /srv/ftp or /srv/www the mount points, but then you're hiding the
stuff that might have gotten installed into the directories underneath /srv/www)
/tmp
/usr
/var

I believe the main reason Mike does it the way he does is that it simplifies
the cloning process/scripts.

> For this basevol/guestvol setup, do I still only set up one partition on
> the "base volume" with the mount point of "/"?    Do I set up any mount
> point on the "guest volume"?

See above.

> I presume everything gets installed on the base volume...just not sure
> about the directories.    The HOWTO documents the different
> directories...but doesn't outline different mount points so I'm not sure
> how to proceed.  The doc instructs to "conduct a completely normal
> installation, following SUSE's instruction".

YaST makes it really easy to break out the various file systems, so I would do
that.  I normally make my non-root file systems LVM logical volumes.  I'm not
sure if that would mess up Bill's basevol/guestvol scheme or not.  (I haven't
ever played with it, and I haven't re-read it in quite a while.)