>>> On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 11:25 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bhemidhi,
Ashwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How do I need to define the NICDEF definition. I looked up the manual
> and there was not any ETHERNET option for "TYPE" on NICDEF statement. I
> tried
> "NICDEF 0700 TYPE ETHERNET LAN SYSTEM VSWITCHE" and tried to save the
> profile and the VM complained about TYPE ETHERNET with the following

Looks like Alan may have been having a Chuckie moment.  I don't see any
documentation that shows a TYPE ETHERNET option on NICDEF or DEFINE NIC either.

When the system boots up, there should be some entries in the kernel ring
buffer that shows what it found and any errors the NIC driver encountered.
Looking through the output of "dmesg" might be useful.  I suspect that Brad's
right about the portname not being set to match the VSWITCH's value.  And, as
Brad suggests, verify that you have the appropriate entry in your ifcfg-eth1
file: OPTIONS='layer2=1'
Even if it won't get used until you get the port online, you're going to want
to have it in there anyway when you do get it online.