From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
David Boyes
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 10:55 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: GDPS/XRC for z/VM and Linux volumes

> could you please explain your pain points with GDPS/XRC in your
Linux/VM
> setup? While z/VM itself doesn't seem to timestamp its I/O Linux does
and
> z/VM would carry all Linux timestamps out to the storage control unit
as
> it re-issues the Linux I/O requests. Do you have problems with these
> limitations? Other?

While I'm not Bob, an observation:

The problem here is a common one when having conversations with IBM
about virtualization on Z at any real scale. The solution that is
offered supports only part of the problem. You've addressed the Linux
and z/OS layers, but the z/VM layer -- which is just as important, as it
controls the resource allocation to the Linux layer and is directly
critical to the cost and ROI cases for having Linux on Z in the first
place, is completely left out of the management picture of the solution.

If you're trying for a completely managed solution (which is what GDPS
is supposed to provide), then omitting a major portion of the solution
from the management integration pretty much torpedoes the argument for
creating the solution in the first place. If I have to create exceptions
to the IBM management infrastructure to *deal with a strategic product
made by IBM*, then there is a fundamental design problem here. Having VM
be unmanaged in that environment blows the whole premise of completely
controllable failover.

The same argument applies to EWLM, IRD, and many other things -- GDPS
and the tools required to implement really highly-available managed
solutions need to be actively cognizant of the presence of VM in
scenarios like GDPS, and not treat it as a poor stepchild who can be
ignored as a helpless invalid. Treat it as a client, but treat it you
must, because it's a critical piece of the plumbing. LPAR isn't an
acceptable alternative.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please

SunTrust and Seeing beyond money are federally registered service marks of
SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]