> From: Mark Post [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I'm not at all sure why you guys wound up with
> /dev/disk/by-id values in /etc/fstab.  I've done probably a
> hundred test installs of SLES10, and I always wind up with
> /dev/dasda1 and such in my fstab.

The mount-by-id vs. mount-by-device is a selection during filesystem
setup at install time. I also have consistently seen mount-by-device as
the default over several dozen installs and have never had to change it
as this is the behavior I wanted.

Is it possible that mount-by-id becomes the default if you are
installing to FCP disks? The ID shown in the original poster's message
doesn't exactly look like a WWN, but I figure it's worth asking. We are
using ECKD, here.

ok
r.