>>> On Wed, Aug 1, 2007 at  6:22 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lindy
Mayfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just curious, because I don't know how the hardware works, if 30
> mainframes do the work of 3,900 servers, that means 1 mainframe does
> 130.
>
> Does that mean that potentially that 1 mainframe has the equivalent of
> at least 130 network cards?  I can see how most of the hardware is
> virtualized, but the networking I don't quite see, yet.  How does that
> part work?

In addition to the VSWITCH that Rich talked about, each port on an OSA card
provides between 15 and 48 network interfaces (depending on the model), and you
can have multiple OSA cards.  All but the OSA-Express2 10 GbE Long Range OSA
allows you to have 2 ports per card.  So, you don't have 130 separate NICs, but
a much smaller number than that.  I visited one customer site that had a
_bunch_ of OSAs in their z9.  Far more than they would have needed if they'd
implemented VSWITCH.  I imagine their IBM hardware sales rep was very happy
though.