According to the hardware manuals, a z9 can support up to 24 OSA cards;
with each card having 2 ports, for a total of 48 ports. Each port is
rated at 1 Gbps (I think that's correct), so I believe the aggregate
total bandwidth should be something on the order of 48 * 1 Gbps or a
total of 48 Gbps (or 12 GB/sec).

Rich Smrcina wrote:
Hypersockets is best communication between LPARs.  For communications
between virtual machines within the same z/VM LPAR, virtual machines
connected to the same VSwitch can talk directly to each other (still no
wires).

Rodriguez, Oscar wrote:
 "Does that mean that potentially that 1 mainframe has the equivalent of
at least 130 network cards?  I can see how most of the hardware is
virtualized, but the networking I don't quite see, yet.  How does that
part work?"

(1) If these 130 servers communicated with each other a lot, then there
is great savings by virtualization on the mainframe. On the mainframe
IBM would have the traffic go on their Hypersockets, which basically
passes it through memory.  A good example of this is moving app servers
and database servers on to the mainframe.  Most of the traffic that they
normally send is between each other.  The same thing applies if they ftp
data between themselves.

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.