You might check out a "semi" white paper on the velocity software website, "http://velocitysoftware.com/whylps.html";. it goes thru the selection criteria that i hear the most.

Klaus Johansen wrote:

Hi all,

I’m writing my master’s thesis about server consolidation using z/VM and Linux on zSeries (learning VM as I go along). A part of my work concerns monitoring. I’m supposed to find the best suited monitoring product/program for the zPenguins where I am…

We are running z9 EC, z/VM 5.2, SLES9 with Oracle 10 and a proprietary software suite (a mix of C, C++, Java programs), which depends on ftp, ssh, print services etc.

Among the things we need to monitor are:
- CPU usage (I believe the Linux view will do for now)
- Memory consumption (unexpected swapping)
- Network availability
- Disk space
- Logs files sizes (not Linux logs)
- Service availability: ftp, ssh, oracle (listener)

We need to send alerts/acknowledgments, when thresholds are exceeded and shen values are normalized. The alert format has to be customizable (alerts has to propagate into a larger monitoring setup using a specific format).

Until now I have stumbled on the following programs names:
- IBM Tivoli Monitoring
- IBM Tivoli Omegamon XE for Linux on zSeries
- Nagios
- Velocity Software ESALPS
- BMC Mainview
- CA VM:Monitor

Some of these probably can’t do what I’m looking for but I intent to investigate into that…

But if any of you could direct my attention to other products/programs, or rule out any of the above before I start, maybe even give some advice and recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best,
Klaus Johansen

Lyngby, Denmark

begin:vcard
fn:Barton Robinson
n:Robinson;Barton
adr;dom:;;PO 390640;Mountain View;CA;94039-0640
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Sr. Architect
tel;work:650-964-8867
note:If you can't measure it, I'm just not interested
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://velocitysoftware.com
version:2.1
end:vcard