Hey Klaus,

I've had a great deal of success with Nagios on a couple of different Linux
on z/VM systems.  It is a simple monitoring tool that is really only limited
by your creativity with scripting.

One of the benefits for z/VM is the fact that it uses a relatively small
foot print and doesn't require any agents sucking up CPU cycles.  However
the management of Nagios can get a little tricky with 100s of servers that
are coming and going rapidly.

Without a doubt Nagios can check all of the items you have mentioned, but
some will require a little scripting on your part.

I've also seen the IBM Tivoli Monitoring framework in action and it is a
very impressive tool that can also do what you need (and 10000000% more).
It really depends on the level of complexity you are looking for and if you
want to push the Linux tools on Linux approach or you are willing to go with
proprietary solutions.

Then again, freshmen students can run ping, df and free right? ;-)

Good luck!

-Chris Young