On 9/14/07, Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But the importance of that depends on what you want to know, doesn't it?
> If you're interested in which Linux process is hogging the guest, the
> absolute number is irrelevant.

But if you're comparing usage before and after some configuration
change, it does become important. Simply the fact that you generate
load in other virtual machines that were idle before, Linux will think
the real business process takes more CPU resources per transaction
than before. And Linux tools will tell you so, even though it is not
true. That's what may make you bark up the wrong tree.

But you *are* very right that performance monitor should be part of
your Proof of Concept. We don't see a PoC fail these days because
software does not work or cannot be found. We see it fail because
people suffer from poor performance and have nobody to turn to for
help in that new environment. So they get folks with Linux skills on
discrete servers and they do all the wrong things because tuning with
Linux on z/VM is rarely intuitive. Or folks using the wrong tools to
measure and draw the wrong conclusions about the capacity of their
installation and their TCO if they grow it.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software, Inc