>>> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at  9:38 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kate Riggsby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
-snip-
> Mark, the lpar is running z/VM 5.2 at 0601. The linux guests are
> running SLES9 SP3 (64bit). The system is using Performance Toolkit.
> cat /proc/meminfo shows:
>    MemTotal:      2050128 kB       LowFree:        343412 kB
>    MemFree:        343412 kB       SwapTotal:      475852 kB
>    Buffers:        143588 kB       SwapFree:       475852 kB
>    Cached:        1128868 kB       Dirty:             444 kB
>    SwapCached:          0 kB       Writeback:           0 kB
>    Active:        1035208 kB       Mapped:         279544 kB
>    Inactive:       486132 kB       Slab:           163204 kB
>    HighTotal:           0 kB       Committed_AS:  2997492 kB
>    HighFree:            0 kB       PageTables:       2496 kB
>    LowTotal:      2050128 kB       VmallocTotal: 4292861952 kB
>                                    VmallocUsed:      2532 kB
>                                    VmallocChunk: 4292859180 kB

As lots of other people have already said (and with whom I agree), you really
need some sort of performance monitor to figure out problems such as this.  One
thing I will say regardless of that, is that it looks like you have almost half
a gig of inactive pages in your guest.  That means that you can likely reduce
your guest size by about that much (subject to subsequent measurement of the
results), and see if your Linux paging rates go up a whole bunch.  The fact
that your system is using about 1GB of storage for caching tells me that likely
they won't.  (And, don't confuse page space in use with paging I/O _rates_.
The first is OK, the second needs to be watched closely.)

Doing this is not likely to have an impact on your immediate problem, but
keeping your guest sizes as small as possible is a good habit to get into now.

Second, since this is a brand new install, why are you using SLES9, and not
SLES10?  ISV certifications and such is a perfectly good reason, of course, but
if there's nothing like that standing in the way, I would recommend using
SLES10 SP1.