Belardi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks Mark....
> if I point to this site... I can get informations here:
> http://www.vm.ibm.com/linux/linuxnss.html
>
> The first paragraph show...
> "The VM Share Kernel Support procedure documented on this page was
> created a few years ago for use with an older Linux Kernel. So, if you
> are using Linux Kernel 2.6, it would be best NOT to use this procedure,
> and instead download a new patch of kernel NSS support from the
> following link. "
>
> I point to the new link....
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/linux390/whatsnew.html
>
> ...and there are some documentation about device drivers and commands....
> In chapter 13 there is: "Shared kernel support"
>
> Setting up a Linux NSS means performs this steps:
> 1. Boot Linux.
> 2. Insert savesys=<nssname> into the kernel parameter file used by your
> boot configuration, where <nssname> is the name you want to assign to
> the NSS. The name can be 1-8 characters long and must consist of
> alphabetic and numeric characters. Be sure not to assign a name that
> matches any of the device numbers used at your installation.
> 3. Issue a zipl command to write the modified configuration to the boot
> device.
> 4. Close down Linux.
> 5. Issue an IPL command to boot Linux from the device that holds the
> Linux kernel. During the IPL process, the NSS is created and Linux is
> actually booted from the NSS.
>
> This procedure seems that is not working at this time....
> What's wrong???
> Procedure??? (automatic NSS generation is not supported)
> Kernel??? (currently is 2.6.16.53)

As I said in my other reply, "what's wrong" is that the patch referenced has
not (yet) been incorporated in the kernel that ships with SLES.  The
developerWorks web site is intended for people that intend to build their own
kernel from source.  That means, distribution providers, or people who are
doing it for educational or other purposes.

In your case, you should go with the manual procedure that gives all the z/VM
commands to use.  Understand, though, that the resulting kernel-in-NSS is not
(yet) supported by Novell.  If/when we ship that functionality, it will be
supported.  Until then, you're on your own unless you are willing to negotiate
a custom support arrangement.  (Personally I don't think it will be any
problematic than booting from a kernel on disk, but commercial support models
being what they are, that scenario doesn't fall under the supported category
yet.)

One thing to keep in mind is that putting your kernel into an NSS is only going
to save you somewhere around 1-4MB (at most).  Unless you have a _lot_ of z/VM
guests, that isn't going to buy you much.  You're much better off concentrating
on implementing CMM (phase 1), or xip2fs.  You'll get a lot more return for
your efforts there.