On 10/9/07, RPN01 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was under the (likely false) impression that the "used" value given for
> swap in the "free" command represented a high water mark. In my experience,
> it goes up, but never comes down again.

It's not a high water mark but really the amount of pages out there.
But as long as the process does not change the page after swap-in, it
may exist both in swap and in main memory. What you often see is that
some real estate of the init process for example goes out and it not
swapped back in until you shutdown the system. And there are probably
more processes that allocate space, initialize it and then never touch
it again.
It also helps to see the "used swap" together with the swap rate to
see what's really happening.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij