On 10/23/07, Dave Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, my colleague Rob v.d. Heij beat me to the punch line, but this was
> where I was headed....having more than one JVM inside a Linux guest is,
> imho, asking for trouble. Is there a reason you need to have multiple
> JVMs running at the same time?

The two managers I referred to was the memory management in the JVM
heap (based on garbage collection) and the memory management in Linux
(based on LRU). And to complete the picture, you also have z/VM manage
the virtual machine and swap space.
Ideally you only want one such layer to manage things. But for dealing
with peaks you need more. For example, you allow z/VM to page in a
virtual machine when work starts, but when it is working there should
not be a lot of paging.

Running multiple applications in a single virtual machine makes it
harder for z/VM to determine what resources are needed. That holds for
running two JVM's with different resource requirements, but also for
other applications. In one of the redbooks we demonstrated that
breaking up a 3-tier application into 3 virtual machines (HTTP, WAS,
DB2) was more effective than running them in one single virtual
machine.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij