<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, RPN01 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not sure why the decision was made between SuSE 9 and SuSE 10 to stop
> partitioning the disks.

I don't understand what you mean by this.  To my knowledge, no such decision
was made.

> If the LVM option requires that the disks be partitioned, why doesn't it
> check for that, and partition them if required? Why make the user do this,
> if it's required every time, and you can't get a successful install without
> it?

I don't know that this situation would come up during an install.  I've never
tried to skip adding partitions to my DASD.  I agree that YaST shouldn't let
you create a bad configuration.  I would suggest opening up a problem report
with your support provider to get that hole closed.

> True, you can partition the disks in SuSE 10 from the GUI, but it is VERY
> NON-OBVIOUS as to how one would do it. Selecting the disk and clicking on Do
> Not Format... How does that relate to partitioning?

It doesn't, exactly.  You need to create at least one partition on any CDL
formatted DASD volume (which is the default format).  For volumes that are
going to be part of an LVM VG, there's no point in formatting that partition,
so you select "do not format" during the dialog where you tell YaST how big you
want that partition to be.  If you were going to use the partition for a file
system, then you would format it.

> The whole idea, to me,
> would mean that nothing would be done to the disk. Instead, it magically
> gets formatted.... It'd be handy if there was just a "Partition Disk" button
> or some such, that mere mortals could hope to understand....

So, you're saying that you shouldn't have to run cpfmtxa on DASD, or CMS format
a minidisk either?  I don't really agree.

> I'm not sure that most of these vendors (like Novell and RedHat) understand
> that "Here's the workaround..." doesn't bolster a mainframer's confidence in
> the product.

This isn't a workaround.  This is following the documented process.  If you
don't follow the documented process, you can't expect it to work anyway.  (With
the caveat about having YaST flag a non-partitioned CDL disk.)

> It should work right, not work after you jump through this list
> of additional hoops. And, when caught in this situation, it should get
> fixed. Documented work-arounds are NOT FIXES.

See above.