You're probably right about his knowledge transfer. Part of it is my fault, or
at least the circumstances. After he left, I didn't have a chance to do much
real work on the Linux machines, so the knowledge didn't sink in as well as it
should/could have.

Anyway, I tried your mount command. I'm pretty sure that I copied it correctly,
but it doesn't seem to like it. It immediately gives me a brief tutorial on the
syntax of the mount command, although it doesn't explain what it didn't like
about my command.

Note that there is a space in the file name. Is this confusing the command into
not knowing where the first argument stops and the second begins? Do I need to
enclose the filename in quotes or something?

Thanks,
Paul Noble

>>> Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/25/2007 1:18 PM >>>
>>> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 11:38 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Paul Noble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> When the consultant who helped us install SUSE Linux, SLES9 and SLES10 on our
> z/VM system left, he apparently didn't set up the installation files for
> future use properly.

I'll bet he did.  See below.  (However, he apparently didn't do a fantastic job
on knowledge transfer, which is too bad.)

-snip-
> Upon further examination, the SLES10 directories are essentially empty.
> However, there is a 4.5GB file named SLES-10-IBM zSeries-DVD1.iso. I'm
> guessing
> (and hoping) that this is an iso image of the installation DVD.

You are correct.

> Is there an easy way to "extract" the files from this iso file and create
> the source files needed by the software management function on my SLES10
> target machine?

No need to extract the files.  You can do what's called a "loopback mount" of
the image:
mount -o loop SLES-10-IBM zSeries-DVD1.iso /path/to/ftp/sles10/directory/

Now, the downfall of this is that by their nature, .iso images are read-only,
so you can't update the installation tree with subsequent package updates.
(You can get around this with doing a number of bind mounts (another advanced
topic), but it's not very elegant, for lack of a better word.)  So, if you
don't mind running YaST Online Update on every newly installed system, that's
not a problem.  If it is, then you might want to extract the files to disk.  I
would recommend that you do this with the Service Pack 1 .iso image though, not
the GA one you have.