Hi,

Considering the following scenario possible.

One our CEC we have 3 z/os lpars and an IFL running z/VM 5.3. On the
z/VM we have a few SUSE Linux quests as well as TCPIP and MPROUTE
guests. On all three z/OS lpars and the TCPIP guest I have a hipersocket
device, IUTIQDFF, defined in the profile and OSPF config. I can ping and
ftp to the various hipersocket ip addresses from all three z/os lpars
and z/VM TCPIP guest.

Recently we started planning for Linux guests to access data on the z/os
lpars via hipersockets. As part of that process, we defined a new
hipersocket, IUTIQDEF, to the z/VM TCPIP guest profile and added the
IUTIQDEF device to the OSPF config for MPROUTE (same subnet as the
IUTIQDFF interface). We then created a new guest lan (glan01 with type
hipersocket and used nicdef/couple commands for a Linux guest and the
TCPIP guest to use that hipersocket guest lan.

The problem is that I could not ping the ip address of z/VM IUTIQDEF
interface from the zOS systems nor ping the hsi1 ip address on the Linux
guest. A q lan glan01 det indicated both guests connected but the TX/RX
counts were 0 and the discards were high.

In looking at the matter, we came up with several questions that we are
hoping someone can help us with.

1) Is the above scenario possible or recommended? We are hoping to use
the guest lan concept to conserve on real hipersocket devices needed for
Linux guests. Does routing work the same way (via the a lookup table)
for a hipersocket guest lan as it does on a real hipersocket network?

2) Would the above scenario work if the new guest lan was configured as
QDIO? Is there much savings in cp cycles and memory by using a
hipersocket guest lan vice a qdio guest lan?

3) In the documentation we have encountered, we have seen examples of a
z/OS hipersocket concentrator and a Linux network concentrator. Does
someone have an example of a z/VM TCPIP/MPROUTE concentrator? Can z/VM
TCPIP/MPROUTE support routing between hipersockets, osa's, and guest lan
(hipersockets and/or qdio)? Which type of concentrator is recommended?

4) In the scenario of the z/os hipersocket concentrator, the z/os is the
router and there are a few Linux guests attached to the hipersockets. I
was wondering if someone could clear up my understanding how that Linux
guests can route data to an ip address out on the network beyond z/os
tcpip. In my foggy mind, I can see the Linux guest indicating the
default route is out the hipersocket interface, but if the hipersocket
frame doesn't have the LLC info like the ip address of the destination,
how does z/os know what ip address to put into the destination ip
address so that goes out into the "normal" lan network? Or is my
understanding of hipersockets incorrect about the LLC headers

Thanks for letting a long time lurker, but a first time questioner to
participate.

Ken Spracklen