On Wednesday, 11/14/2007 at 06:00 EST, "Spracklen, Ken"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Recently we started planning for Linux guests to access data on the z/os
> lpars via hipersockets. As part of that process, we defined a new
> hipersocket, IUTIQDEF, to the z/VM TCPIP guest profile and added the
> IUTIQDEF device to the OSPF config for MPROUTE (same subnet as the
> IUTIQDFF interface). We then created a new guest lan (glan01 with type
> hipersocket and used nicdef/couple commands for a Linux guest and the
> TCPIP guest to use that hipersocket guest lan.
>
> The problem is that I could not ping the ip address of z/VM IUTIQDEF
> interface from the zOS systems nor ping the hsi1 ip address on the Linux
> guest. A q lan glan01 det indicated both guests connected but the TX/RX
> counts were 0 and the discards were high.

If you draw the picture Rob requested, you will see that a Guest LAN is a
separate subnet and needs to be attached to your existing network using
the same techniques as you would for a real LAN segment.

> 1) Is the above scenario possible or recommended? We are hoping to use
> the guest lan concept to conserve on real hipersocket devices needed for
> Linux guests. Does routing work the same way (via the a lookup table)
> for a hipersocket guest lan as it does on a real hipersocket network?

It is fine, though you may wish to give Linux OSA Guest LAN (QDIO or
Hipersocket) is not a bridge or switch.  It is a LAN segment that requires
routing.

> 2) Would the above scenario work if the new guest lan was configured as
> QDIO? Is there much savings in cp cycles and memory by using a
> hipersocket guest lan vice a qdio guest lan?

That depends on the workload.  The z/VM Performance Reports, going back to
z/VM 4.3, provide a comparison of QDIO vs. HiperSockets.

> 3) In the documentation we have encountered, we have seen examples of a
> z/OS hipersocket concentrator and a Linux network concentrator. Does
> someone have an example of a z/VM TCPIP/MPROUTE concentrator? Can z/VM
> TCPIP/MPROUTE support routing between hipersockets, osa's, and guest lan
> (hipersockets and/or qdio)? Which type of concentrator is recommended?

z/VM does not provide a HiperSocket concentrator (i.e. a HiperSocket
Virtual Switch).

> 4) In the scenario of the z/os hipersocket concentrator, the z/os is the
> router and there are a few Linux guests attached to the hipersockets. I
> was wondering if someone could clear up my understanding how that Linux
> guests can route data to an ip address out on the network beyond z/os
> tcpip. In my foggy mind, I can see the Linux guest indicating the
> default route is out the hipersocket interface, but if the hipersocket
> frame doesn't have the LLC info like the ip address of the destination,
> how does z/os know what ip address to put into the destination ip
> address so that goes out into the "normal" lan network? Or is my
> understanding of hipersockets incorrect about the LLC headers

It's not a "routing" thing.  Linux thinks the same-subnet IP addresses on
the OSA network are local and does what Linux normally does: sends the
packet directly to the intended IP address, not via a default route.  A
miracle occurs in Step 2 and z/OS gets the packet, unchanged, and places
it on the LAN.  In return, z/OS has responsibility to handle ARP issues on
the OSA on Linux's behalf.  To the rest of the network, z/OS and all of
the Linuxen have the same MAC address.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott