From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Mark Post
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 2:20 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] Building kernel modules on Linux 390

>>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at  3:40 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rob van
der Heij
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> I have a vague recollection that you also need to install the
> additional packages that ship the source of assorted kernel modules
> (like vmcp for example). Admitted my most intimate experiences with
> the process go back to SLES7 and SLES8, but building the SuSE Linux
> kernel out of sources was extremely tricky (relied on other things
> happening in the right order, but not validating that).

These days (speaking of SLE10), the kernel packages have the symlinks
into /usr/src/, and all you really need is the kernel-source RPM, and
your own code, to build kernel modules.  I haven't really tried to build
a whole kernel recently, but I believe it just requires a "make
somekindofconfig" followed by "make image" with an optional "make
modules".

This message w/attachments (message) may be privileged, confidential or
proprietary, and if you are not an intended recipient, please notify the
sender, do not use or share it and delete it. Unless specifically indicated,
this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment
products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any
transaction, or an official statement of Merrill Lynch. Subject to applicable
law, Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC)
traveling through its networks/systems. The laws of the country of each
sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived,
supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are
located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. This
message is subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/. By messaging with Merrill Lynch you
consent to the foregoing.