Hi,

On z/VM 5.2, I'm defining a VSWITCH as a primary router because I have a
Linux guest performing the routing.  When I do not define an OSA triplet
(no RDEV specified), the PRI option has no effect.  Even I perform 'cp
set vswitch vsw1 pri', a VSWITCH query returns NONROUTER.  However, once
I define an RDEV, query then returns PRIROUTER.

I assume the routing options don't take effect unless there's an
external OSA interface defined.  Is this true?  If so, does the VSWITCH
act in NONROUTER or PRIROUTER mode before the OSA is defined?

The goal is to send packets to another network through the Linux router
attached to this VSWITCH, but the VSWITCH seems to discard these packets
as if NONROUTER were set.  Is this a case where a GuestLAN is a better
fit than a VSWITCH with no external interface?

Thanks,
--
Brad Hinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sr. Support Engineer Lead, System z